Thursday 31 December 2009

2009 Closing Credits

So as The Replacements trample upon the very idea that riotous, raw, distorted songs can't include pathos and humour, it's with delight I say that 2009 is probably the year I got this music thing. Yeah, I'm starting to get to grips with it. The form, the expression, the development, the history, the future, the past, the importance, the artistic and the throwaway. It's an incredible form of communication which can cause joy, fear, laughter and arguments to end relationships. It's a fascinating journey through psyches probably as densely packed and dangerous as our own. There have been some incredible records released this year, some intense and personally affecting performances and a whole heap of good and bad news of all types. Music and all it encompasses continues to fluctuate like the very soundwaves it is made of. If anything simulates the real violent punctuation of human life, it's music. That's why I've devoted a lot of my life to it. It's a way of helping to understand me and others.

I've got a few ambitious ideas for the future. Hopefully the seeds will be planted in 2010. I've got two exciting events planned already - one is my first trip to SxSW (hence my alphabetical guide to the bands playing which you can find here: http://everysinglerevolution.blogspot.com/2009/12/sxsw-beginners-guide-1.html)
which will hopefully take in a trip to Mexico and Argentina along the way. The second is the highly anticipated Pavement ATP in May. As for work, well it's too early to say but I'll never rule out the idea that I'll be the one to save music journalism. NEVER.

Happy New Year to pretty much everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment